This is a project I bought the pattern and fabric (a printed linen) for years ago, I’m not sure why it took me so long! I stopped sewing for myself for a long time, and I’m making up for it now :).
I knew from reading reviews that people had a couple of problems with this pattern, and yep, I had them too. One of these was that it gapes open at the neckline, which I tried to fix by pinching out maybe 1cm from the neckline and pivoting it into the bust gathers after making up a muslin. This helped a lot but I still feel like I’m flashing people my bra from some angles when I wear it! I think this might just be a problem with this style of neckline?
The other problem you can see above, horizontal wrinkles across the hip. If I make this again I’ll put the zip in the side seam and get rid of the centre back seam. There’s some drag lines under the bust in the next photo too, but I think that’s partly because I self lined the whole bodice and the linen was too heavy for all those seam allowances together! A lightweight lining with just a facing in the linen would have been better. That’s what I get for not wanting to buy more fabric, haha.
I know it sounds like I’m complaining a lot about this dress, but I’m pretty happy with it! It’s really nice to wear on hot days (like we are still having, even though we’re well into Autumn!) and I like the classic style of the bias shift dress. It feels a bit clingy around my tum sometimes but I think that’s the nature of the beast, the beast being the bias cut!
Pattern: New Look 6348, view E
Fabric: Printed medium-weight linen